Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The End is Not the End

I write this post on the eve of my departing Bellingham for hopefully the next to last time.

I have been saying a lot of goodbyes in the past several days, some of which have been more difficult than others. Because I switched schools a lot in my youth, I now have a difficult time getting attached to people. When I meet new people I tend to assume that they won't be close friends for life, although I know some people will always be friends, even if I only talk to them once a year.

I believe that life does occur in "seasons," or, as a friend and I discussed last night, in "subplots." When one story begins to be wrapped up, a whole new plot line begins. So I'm not really sad about moving on, at least not yet. I have greatly enjoyed my time in Bellingham, and have met SO many amazing people. Some people I got to spend a lot of time with while others were only around for a short period, but everyone had an impact on my life, and I can only hope that I had a good impact on them. I see no point in missing anyone because I know that I am going to where I'm supposed to be, and that you all are where you should be. If our paths cross again in the future, that will wonderful, but I don't like the idea of pining away for the past. I have fond memories that I will carry with me, but I also know that I will be making new ones as well.

And while I sound strong right now, I may break down as I'm driving away tomorrow. Just like I broke down last Friday as I headed home from my last day of work. Those people set the bar really high for my next job. Thanks again to all of you if you're reading this. :)

This trip has so much in store for Hannah and I, although we have know idea what all that is. We have already learned a lot about ourselves and about each during the weekends that we've spent together and we haven't even left yet. Part of me had been worried about the disagreements we would inevitably have, but so far we've been able to "fight" (that word is too strong, but I don't feel like trying to find another one right now) and then work it out, which is a new experience for me, and one that I am really enjoying. I'm learning to stand up for myself and not feel bad for voicing my opinion, even when I know others won't like it. Typically I just avoid confrontation altogether because I want people to like me. Now I'm learning that I can voice my disagreement with people AND *gasp* they still like me. To all of you who are helping me learn that, including Hannah, thank you!!

There's probably a lot more I could say, but I'm not sure any of it is really that important. So I'll just say "Goodbye Bellingham."

I want to end this post by thanking everyone who is reading this (yup, I'm talking to YOU), whether I know you or you are some creepy stranger who randomly stumbled upon this blog. It's nice to know that there are people out there who are actually interested in my life and who are excited for us. If there is some aspect of this trip that you want to know more about that I seem to be completely lapsing on, feel free to ask about it. I'm a pretty open person most of the time, so if there is ever anything you are curious about, don't hesitate to post a comment or email me (hopefulsoul619@gmail.com).

God bless, over and out.
~Marissa

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." -- Romans 12:12

3 comments:

  1. yay. i'm glad. cuz sometimes i wonder and don't think it's possible. i like you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off; I love the song title used as a blog title :D, plus it's just a clever title for the context anyway... :D
    Second; you definitely impacted my life in a very positive way! Even though we said goodbye (in the sense of not seeing each other) a while ago when I left for the HA again in April, I feel like I said goodbye in the same way again when you left for this trip... which is weird. But thank God for all of this technology that allows you to update us on your progress! If it wasn't for this I think I'd go CRAZY wondering if you guys are ok, if you're having fun, what craziness you're getting into... etc. Keep up the updates! Any more news on when you're heading my way? I'm praying for you guys! Have fun!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete